Le Touret Cemetery and Memorial

Le Touret Cemetery with The Memorial to the Missing.

The Memorial bears the names of over 13,000 men who fell in the surrounding area and have no known grave.
They all fell before 25 Sept 1915 when The Battle of Loos began. The Missing who fell after this date are named on The Loos Memorial

Le Touret Cemetery and Memorial

The entrance to Le Touret Cemetery

View memorial plan

Le Touret entrance

The inscription over the entrace to the Le Touret Memorial is in English and French.
It reads

To the Glory of God and in Memory of 13,482 British officers and men who fell fighting in this neighbourhood from October 1914 to September 1915 whose names are here recorded but to whom the fortune of war denied the known and honoured burial given to their comrades in death

The circular Memorial  at Le Touret

The section of the memorial bearing panels 39-41 which record the names of men of The Gordon Highlanders


The names of Gordon Highlanders

The section bearing the names of soldiers of The Gordon Highlanders. These include Sgt John Fraser of Aberlour who was killed by the same shell that took the life of Dod Gordon.
It also bears the name Pte William Douglas of Kennethmont who was in Dod's battalion and was killed on the same day.

The name of George Gordon

Pte George Gordon, 6th Btn, Gordon Highlanders


The name of George Gordon

The name of George Gordon on Le Touret Memorial

Photographed August 2001


View  6GH memorial

6th Batt Gordon Highlanders Memorial

The names of Gordon Highlanders