Click on images to view details
Son of William and Barbara Cruickshank, of Douglas Buildings, Kirkhill, Kennethmont, Aberdeenshire.
He was born at Huntly and enlisted at Aberdeen. Died of Wounds, served France & Flanders.
Adam died in No 3 Canadian Stationary
Hospital, Doullens due to wounds received during the German
Spring Offensive which started on 21st March 1918. It was fought
on the British held Arras sector of the front line.
Details from Service Record
Army Returns : Died at No 3 Canadian Stationary Hospital, Doullens, France of wounds received in action.
No 3 CSH, Doullens
|Cemetery:||DOULLENS COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION No.1, Somme, France|
|VI. F. 18.|
|Location:||Doullens is a town in the Department
of the Somme, approximately 30 kilometres north of Amiens on the
N25 road to Arras. The Communal Cemetery and Extensions lie on
the eastern side of the town, about 270 metres south-east of the
road to Arras.
|Doullens was Marshal Foch's Headquarters early in the War, and the scene of the Conference in March, 1918, after which he assumed command of the Allied armies on the Western front. From the summer of 1915 to March, 1916, it was a junction between the French Tenth Army on the Arras front and the British Third Army on the Somme. The Citadelle, overlooking the town from the South, was a French military hospital, and the railhead was used by both Armies. In March, 1916, the Arras front became British, and the 19th Casualty Clearing Station came to Doullens, followed by the 41st, the 35th and the 11th. By the end of 1916 these had given place to the 3rd Canadian Stationary Hospital and the 2/1st Northumbrian Casualty Clearing Station, the former of which remained in the town until June, 1918. From February, 1916, to April, 1918, the British medical units continued to bury in the French Extension (No.1) of the Communal Cemetery. In March and April, 1918, the German advance and the desperate fighting on this front threw a severe strain on the Canadian Stationary Hospital; the Extension was filled, and new ground was occupied (Extension No. 2) on the opposite side of the Communal Cemetery. There are now over 1,000, 1914-18 and 30, 1939-45 war casualties commemorated in this site. Each of the Extensions curtains a War Cross, and Number 1 has a Great War Stone on the Eastern boundary.|