In Memory of
Click on images to view details
Son of John and Elizabeth Douglas, lived
at Craigton, later Rose Cottage.
George Douglas was baptised at Seggieden
on 13/10/1893. His father was a farm servant.
Kennethmont School Records- enrolled 1/6/1898, Parent / Guardian Mrs Douglas, Kirkhill DOB 23/3/1893
Pte 6 GH, Craigton Cottage on memorial. The Roll of Honour in 6th GH in France and Flanders shows Pte Geo Douglas, enlisted Huntly as attached to 4th GH.
PRO, War & Victory Medals, previously 12273, Pte, GH
Born Kennethmont and enlisted at Huntly,
Died of Wounds, served Germany
Only George Douglas in GH from records, Brother of Alex Douglas
Brothers James, b 6/3/1892, and John
served Pte 6 GH, Jimmy d Aberdeen 21/8/1941, John d Inverurie
9th-29th April 1918, Battles of the Lys.
The Germans advance in Flanders in an attempt to gain the important
rail junction of Hazebrouck and the Channel ports.
4/8/1914 Aberdeen. Highland Division.
|Cemetery:||TOURNAI COMMUNAL CEMETERY ALLIED EXTENSION, Tournai, Hainaut, Belgium|
|II. F. 2.|
|Tournai Communal Cemetery is located
in the south west district of Tournai itself on the N508, Chaussee
De Douai, a road leading from the R52 Tournai ring road. 900 metres
after leaving the R523 and joining the N508, lies the left hand
turning onto the Chaussee De Willemean. The cemetery is located
at the end of this lane.
|Historical Information:||Tournai (Doornik in Flemish), was captured by the German II Corps on the 23rd August, 1914, in spite of the resistance of a French Territorial Brigade, and it remained in German hands until it was entered by the 47th (London) and 74th (Yeomanry) Divisions on the 8th November, 1918. The 51st (or Highland) Casualty Clearing Station came in on the 14th November and remained until the 20th July, 1919. The (Southern) Communal Cemetery, in the Faubourg-St. Martin, was used and extended by the Germans during their occupation. (German sick and wounded were nursed in the "Asile", the British and Allied in the Hopital Notre-Dame.) The earlier German War burials were made in the North corner, the later in the extension to the South-West, and the British burials after the Armistice in the same extension. It was decided later to regroup the German and Allied dead, by nationalities; and part of the German Extension then became the Allied (or Western) Extension. There were brought to it not only British and many Allied dead from the North corner of the cemetery, but also British dead from other cemeteries in a wide area round Tournai. There are now nearly 700, 1914-18 and over 50, 1939-45 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, over 30 from the 1914-18 War are unidentified. The cemetery covers an area of 3,233 square metres.|